Wednesday, July 04, 2007

RIP Art...


Well what started out as a Happy 4th of July ended up with some belated sad news, one of my dear old Disney animation mentors/supervisors passed away, Art Stevens. He worked on many of Disney's most memorable feature films and animated characters like Evinrude the dragon fly in The Rescuers." Whats a wonderful man, incredible artist and a GREAT friend. He took me under his wings, literally, set me with a desk in his office while directing! Taught me the art of storyboarding and gave me my promotion to Animator, something I'll never forget. Here we are in a publicity photo during the making of "The Black Cauldron." I wish I would've spent more time with you in the later years, thank you for your guidance and friendship, a tip of the hat forever from your student and pupil. Ruben

5 Comments:

Blogger Jean Schanberger said...

Ruben, I'm glad for the wonderful memories that Art Stevens' passing has conjured up for you, but very sorry for your loss, and his family's. His warmth shows in this photo and I love the inscription "I hope we can see it through together." It sounds like in many ways, you did. I'm sorry I didn't ever have the chance to meet him with you but am grateful to him too for his tremendous generosity to you. L,J.

7/04/2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger Mike Thompson said...

You have my sincere condolences.

7/05/2007 7:24 AM  
Blogger Mike Thompson said...

Ruben and Jean, thanks so much for visiting my little piece of the Internet! As a public school teacher and aspiring artist, your kind comments mean a great deal. I have visited your blog several times in the last year, Ruben, and enjoyed each and every post. I apologize for neglecting to mention that when I posted earlier. Again, I am sorry for your loss.

7/05/2007 11:01 AM  
Blogger K.B. said...

Ruben,

It is sad news reading about Art Stevens passing. My condolences to you his friend , as well as his family. I am sure he was very proud of the artist you've become as his mentorship shines through in you and the many others his work and guidance has influenced. I hope someday Disney puts out a series of books on others besides the Nine old men. Fantastic artists and mentors like Art Stevens would be a good place to start.

sincere condolences-Kevin

7/06/2007 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the remembrance and photo of Art Stevens, Ruben.

I'm with Kevin, I hope someone does a book on the Other animators from Disney's classic period (not to take away anything from the 9 Old Men or the Fred Moore/Ham Luske/Bill Tytla/Art Babbitt/Norm Ferguson eras ... but so many other great artists were in that time that the general public never hears about )

P.S. sorry I missed you when you were in Orlando in May for your signing ... something came up at the last minute and I couldn't get down there to see you. Next time for sure.

7/06/2007 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home